- generally people neither mean what they say nor say what they mean. Saying something in the moment is fine, but brass tacks is an entirely different matter. Just realize they are being 'nice' or 'polite' and move on - it's safer.
- people will tell you an easy lie rather than a hard truth.
- don't assume.
- blunt communication is best. Misinterpretation is your own damned fault (see beginning of list).
- be polite and gracious, but don't expect that many folks will return the favor.
- same with 'favors'. Only do them because it makes *you* feel good.
- 'Hope springs eternal' is one of the stupidist things ever said, because it's pretty pointless. Doesn't really get you anywhere - only hard work and pragmatism (and occasionally some ass-kissing) do.
- they don't really care.
- complete self-reliance is the only way to go.
- if they don't have time for you then don't bother.
Old dog, new tricks.
*bap* *bap* *bap*
Back to the redhead's rules...
The redhead's rules are simple:
#1 No expectations
#2 Actions speak louder than words
#3 You can only count on yourself