- used active listening techniques to try to ensure that I was understanding exactly what they mean, asked clarifying questions, admitted when I was confused immediately, and repeated many things back to show that I was listening to their ideas and concerns.
- focused on discussing solutions that would make them feel more comfortable.
- did not raise my voice at all and did not allow myself to become emotional.
- avoided interjecting my thoughts and feelings as much as possible - unless directly asked or unless it was required of the particular point or as clarification.
- suggested several ideas that might make them feel more comfortable with situations in the future.
- offered immediate compromise when my suggestions appeared to be out of line with their ideas, feelings, or limitations.
- made time for them on the spur of the moment for them when they called unexpectedly tonight even though I had other social plans for the evening.
Did the same thing yesterday. Called today specifically and solely to let them know that I had heard the things they said yesterday, reiterated what some of them were (and got confirmation), and let them know I was thinking about what they had said seriously.